Everything is great according to the eye. Now it is time to make sure with the nose.
Can you close your eyes and remember different places because of the smell that they had? I remember that smell of Grandma's and Grandpa's or going to the pool in the summer. And a quick sniff can take you right back there.
Every place and every person has a different smell. It could be attributed to the perfume / cologne that they wear, the foods that they cook, the animals that they keep. Most people don't know what their own smell is because they are always with it. It takes an outsider to come in and make a comment to know that there is one (good or bad). Do you know what your smell is?
When it is time to start showing people your house, invite friends and family members over for a first look. Ask them if there is anything noticeable in the house that an outsider would comment on. Because you are openly asking this question, hopefully they will give you their opinion and you won't get mad at them if they answer it.
Here are some things that you are going to want to watch out for:
- Make sure that all animal areas are ALWAYS cleaned up including crates, litter boxes, bedding, etc.
- Don't go overboard with air fresheners. Some people have a sensitive nose and this will be a turn off to them.
- Be aware of what you cook and how it could affect the house. Some items such as fish, onions, etc. have a very lingering smell.
- If you clean with a bleach product, don't go overboard with it. This may cause a buyer to assume that you are covering something up.
- Appeal to their sense of taste. If you want to put a good smell in the house, bake a pie or cookies. Who can turn those smells down...as long as you don't burn them lol.
- Make sure the trash is taken out.
- If the weather is nice and you have windows open...make sure that dog poop is cleaned up outside if you have a dog. This smell does come into the house.